Saturday 10 November 2012

What they thought...

I have continued to put my questions to my peers, here are some more thoughts:

Liam - Charity Fundraiser (Disability charity)

Liam picked out the question:

How can theatre be made more accessible to disabled and disadvantaged young people?

These were his thoughts on this:
  • I need to be more specific - choose between disabled and disadvantaged.
  • If I chose disability what disability do I mean? Learning or physical?
  • What do I mean by accessible?  He referred me to 'the social model of disability' which focuses on the fact that it is only society that makes someone disabled not the condition.  It has key principles to consider attitudes, social support, information and physical structures.  These all contribute towards accessibility and I plan to research this further should my line of inquiry go that way. 
Social model of disability - It is explained further here!
  • If reference to my question what are the benefits? he pointed out that in his view benefit implies an assumption that there is no barriers when there is.
  • He mentioned that in general that my questions are very broad as an experienced academic he gave me the advice that in gaining focus I will gain a stronger inquiry.
Amanda - Performing Arts Teacher

Amanda picked out these questions:

How can access to live theatre and arts enhance a child's progression?

How can theatre act as a form of therapy - what are the benefits?

These were her thoughts:
  • Be more specific! What do I mean by theatre - watching or participating?
  • In regards to a child's progression I need to think about if I mean socially, emotionally and physically.
  • If I decide to go into child psychology she recommended a visit to the RAD library as there is lots of resources there.
  • She mentioned that my questions are all very positive and general, maybe having more of a statement to explore arguments/theories for and against this would create a stronger inquiry.  She gave the example of 'Does ballet have a negative effect on a child's body?'
These comments are great food for thought as I progress with my inquiry questions.  I know I need to be more specific but I am finding it hard when I don't want to choose a certain group of people or distinguish between watching or participating in theatre - maybe this is Inclusive Theatre?

Hollie x





No comments:

Post a Comment