Wednesday 7 November 2012

What Tara thought....


My conversation with Tara focused on the question:

How can theatre be made more accessible to disabled and disadvantaged young people?

These are key points that came out of our chat:
  • Need more clarity - be specific to one field out of disabled or disadvantaged.
  • Tara asked what I meant by accessible and I found it hard to explain myself.  She asked if I meant taking young people to the theatre, theatre workshops, drama classes.  I mean all of them really but we talked again about clarity here.
  • This led to thinking about a question that centred on the different ways theatre can be made more accessible rather than an all round approach.  A logical breakdown of actually tackling this issue with ideas.
  • Tara expressed an interest in going down the field of theatre for disadvantaged young people as she felt it was an area with less investment in.
  • This got me thinking about whether disadvantaged is even the right thing to say I need to look at my wording.
  • We got talking about ways this is being done now and thought about companies I can explore further to gain knowledge:
Oily Cart
Theatre Clwyd Outreach Programme

I developed these questions:

How can theatre reach out to and engage disadvantaged young people?

How can different avenues/approaches make theatre more obtainable and relative to disadvantaged young people?

How can theatre be made readily available to disadvantaged young people?

How can theatre provide practical, emotional and educational support to vulnerable and deprived young people?

How can theatre be made more accessible in diverse and challenging London boroughs?

Hollie x

No comments:

Post a Comment