Thursday 8 November 2012

Ethics in workshop facilitating/teaching.....

I looked into the actual ethical framework of my workplace - here is what I found:

Workshop Facilitating/Teaching
  • We expect a creative, inventive and energetic approach with parents and children coupled with a dedicated supportive and ‘can do’ attitude. Contractors should have the excellent interpersonal skills and positive outlook required to become an inspirational motivator of children and colleagues.
  • When dealing with customers, you are the public face of the company. Parents and schools are entrusting their children to you and will in part judge you on your appearance. Therefore you should aim to be neat and well-groomed at all times.
  • Punctuality is vital when providing services for the company. Teachers are advised to arrive at least 15 minutes before the start of a workshop as that is when the hall is hired from. If you are going to be late for any reason, communicate immediately with the appropriate Area Partner/ Principal/ School/ Parent as required.
  • You are expected to comply with all policies regarding health & safety and child protection. Please see the appendices to this document for more information.
  • You may well come into contact with confidential information about a child’s health or domestic situation. You must not disclose to any unauthorised person any information relating to the children in your care or their families.
Regarding policies of health and safety and child protection there is links to endless documents they have in place to adhere to.  The health and safety guidelines cover everything from driving to the venue, buying and preparing fruit to fire safety and workshop risk assessment.  The child protection policy covers child collection procedure, accident/medication procedure and policies regarding detecting and referring possible abuse.

Comparison to original thoughts

I think I was pretty close to the actual framework in place in my initial thoughts.  I have worked for the company for a few years now and because of the nature of the work the codes of practice are drummed into their employees.  Child protection is of extreme importance and this is never to be forgotten.  In saying that it is interesting that I focused on my approach to my work and what was expected of me in relation to the company more than the safety and protection of the children in my care.  I think this highlights my perception of company ethics as a set rules I personally have to abide by in order to impress my employer rather than overall obligations/laws the company as a whole is expected to adhere to.  Or are these obligations/laws the company ethics or legalities?  I remember the notion of avoiding harm and doing good from the campus session.  I think I see personal ethics as doing good and professional ethics as avoiding harm when it is really about combining the two. What do you think?  

I did not think about the aspect of confidential information and even though I know there is lots of policies and procedures in place regarding health and safety and child protection the extent of them still surprised me!  I think I abide to them in my practice but I will be having a re-read to make sure!

Hollie x


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment