Saturday 10 November 2012

Ethics in performing...

Finding codes of practice/regulations for a performer was a little harder to come by.  Looking back at previous contracts I have had they are very factual and in my eyes full of legalities rather than ethics.  Or are legalities ethics?  I guess they are in a way as laws stem from ethics and are there to create a better society - without them we would be in chaos.  So my contracts are full of dates and agreements to adhere to such as publicity, understudy and youth workshops.  I believe the work ethic of a performer is ingrained at the stage of professional training and when you are employed you are simply expected to know this and conduct yourself in a certain way. 

I found this link that stood out to me regarding the ethics of a performer, take a look:

An Actor's Code of Ethics

This is similar to the original ideas I had for the code of ethics of a performer.  This task got me thinking about the merge between what I saw as laws and ethics - they are more combined than I had thought before.  It also got me thinking about how as a performer our work ethic comes from our training and it becomes second nature that is expected by an employer.  The ethos of each company I work for may change and it is important to be aware of that but I feel in regards to my personal practice there are certain things that are just expected because of my training.  What do you think?

Hollie x

No comments:

Post a Comment