Monday 16 April 2012

Writers block - stuck and struggling!

I feel really stuck with my studies at the moment.  I am finding it hard to find the time and the drive to get on with it.  I am determined to succeed on this course but to be honest I am struggling.  With so many other things going on when I have time I find myself doing anything but my studies.  In doing this I am making it feel like a burden that is always hanging over me.  It is time for me to deep breath, step back, and reflect in order to make a plan of action.  I want to get the most out of this course and make it work for me. So here is what I am struggling with:


Problem: Looking at other people's blogs and feeling my work is inadequate.  I think this says a lot about my professional confidence elsewhere as well.
Resolution:  I need to stop comparing myself to others in a negative way.  I need to remember there is no right or wrong answer and it is about what works for me and not other people.  I need to see the sharing aspect of this course as a positive element in order to grow.

Problem: Feeling that every blog I post needs to be related to a task and be perfectly written.
Resolution: I need to remember that I am not being assessed on my blogs and that it is a space for me to develop my professional practice.  A place to share and build ideas to further myself.

Problem: I spend to much time on each individual task and therefore get myself behind.  When I approach any challenge I like to feel that I have to explore every avenue and look into it in as much detail as I can.
Resolution:   I need to realise that this isn't possible.  There is so much information out there that I need to be able to select the information that is beneficial to me.  I think I also need to accept this is a constant learning process and in moving on from one task it does not mean that process ends it has only just begun.

Problem: Not working in a proper study space.  I sit on my bed with the TV or music on and a house full of distractions.  I have therefore begun to feel I need to put a big chunk of time aside in order to do my work which makes me avoid it.
Resolution: I need to go to a library or coffee shop or even just work at a desk.  In finding myself a work space I will get more done in a short amount of time. Then I will approach my work in a more positive way.

Problem:  I am finding it hard to keep a daily journal.  I am finding myself going back to write entries from two weeks ago when I can not remember how I felt or even what happened.  The only person I am lying to in doing this is myself.
Resolution: Remember the journal is for me no one else.  I have bought a little journal that goes in my handbag so I can write where ever I am and just write what is relevant to me.  I have been using an A4 book that I can only really keep at home and the space allows me to gabble and then feel like I do not want to write for the next week! This is a small adjustment but I think it will really help me.  I am also going to buy a sketch book and draw a reflective picture at the end of the week.  My pin board is still going to. 

It feels good to have done that simple exercise for myself and I feel ready to move on with a positive attitude.  I am the answer to all my own problems and I need to JUST DO IT. 

Regarding my journal writing I am not going to look back and catch up on days I have not written.  It is time to move forward.  The main thing I need to remember is that this course is about finding out what works for ME and there is not right or wrong answer in that!


Hollie xx

4 comments:

  1. I think you solved all of your own problems! I have been struggling in almost all of the aspects that you have written about and I think you're very brave in sharing them.
    I think we have all spent time looking at other peoples blogs and feeling we aren't up to standard (might make you feel better to know I have a read a few of your posts and thought just that!)I have found it difficult because we are so free to interpret things I never know if I am on the right track, coming from a dance background where you always knew what was expected this is a very uncomfortable feeling for me.
    But I think you right, it just a case of just doing it, getting on with the work and see where we get to. I think solving your own problems shows you're on the right track!

    Danni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought this was a great read! very inspiring and i find myself having a lot of the similar problems and have took advice from your resolutions. i intend to now do something similar myself,has addressing these problems helped you gain more time management and a better understanding of the tasks at hand? do you feel you shall be learning from the tasks more now rather than just compleating them because you have to, as that is how i have been feeling at some points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments Danni and Steph! It is great to know I am not alone in my thoughts - was a little bit scary sharing this but it has really helped me move on with a new outlook. I suppose your right Danni in that solving my problems I am on the right path I wish I was moving a little quicker but I guess I am using critical reflection in order to progress. Steph I do feel more positive now and in not beating myself up about doing the work I feel like I will get more out of the tasks. Sometimes you have to take a step back to go forward!

    Thanks again Hollie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think once you get it off your chest you always feel better. Ive just commented on Steph's blog, saying I feel over whelmed. In the nicest way possible it's nice to know other people are feeling the same. I was just laying in bed and could't sleep so decided to have a root around on peoples blogs while I actually got the time.

    It's beginning that I find the hardest and then I don't seem to stop......and just like you I have been putting it off. We all started this course for a reason so we need to keep those thoughts in ours heads, we don't need luck (-; x

    ReplyDelete